Out of stock
Rye Beer – All Grain Recipe Kit
Rye, or Roggen in German, rye malt is very hard with a smaller profile kernel than barley, it also has a protein content between that of barley and wheat. Like wheat and unlike barley, rye has no husks and thus absorbs water comparatively quickly, this means the maltster must take extra care not to over steep the rye at the beginning of the malting process.
For these reasons it would be near impossible to make an all Rye beer, because the mash would be difficult to lauter. Also, rye has a relatively high beta-glucan content, which can make the run-off agonisingly slow. Always employ a multi-step mash that allows for the enzymatic degradation of the many unconverted beta-glucans and proteins as possible. Beta-glucanase reach their peak activity at roughly 45C; protease, at roughly 50C.
The addition of Rye gives a noticeable crispness and dryness on the palate and so as not to conflict with the Ryes natural spiciness, select hops that are relatively low in cohumulone (Hersbrucker, spalt, santium, tettnanger).
Expected Brew Figures: (Based on 80% Mash Efficiency):
2.5kg Weyermann Premium Pilsner
2.0kg Weyermann Rye Malt
200g Carafa T1
60min Hersbrucker 30g
5min Santium 50g
1x M/J's M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast
Method: (Multi Step Mash infusion):
1. Dough in @ approx 44C. with 16L of water Rest for 20mins. (Recirculate)
-2. nfuse and raise temp to 50C. Rest for 20mins. (Recirculate)
3. Infuse and raise temp to 65C. Rest for 45mins. (Recirculate)
4. Infuse and raise temp to 70C. Rest for 20mins. (Recirculate)
5. Infuse and raise temp to mash out 77C. Recirculate &
6. Sparge with 14L of water @ 77C
7. Boil for 90mins.
8. Hop Schedule:
9. At 60mins add 30g of Hersbrucker
10. At 5mins to go add 50g of Santium
11. Ferment at 20-24C for 7days, if you can pull the temp down to 7C over 2days after the fermentation and let rest for another 3 days.
Rye Beer - All Grain Recipe Kit
NZ Owned & operated
anywhere in NZ
All prices are shown in NZD and include GST. unless stated otherwise.
Home Brew West GST No: 101791157