WD Hoppiness XPA - All Grain Recipe Kit
Weezledog Hoppiness XPA
An extra pale ale, not just an ale that is extra pale. At the stronger end of the style, reasonably dry with restrained bitterness, but a whole lot of late hopping provides massive grapefruit, some lemon, and lime, and a touch of sour malt gives a slight tart edge that really helps to accentuate the citrusy hops.
Expected Brew Figures: (based on 80% mash efficiency)
IBU: Approx. 45
3.0kg of Gladfield American Ale Malt
2.0kg of Pilsner Malt
500g of Flaked Wheat
200g of Sour Grapes
100g of Southern Cross hops
150g of Wai-iti hops
100g of Motueka hops
2x Safale US-05 Yeast
Water Additions: (Not Included)
3.1g Calcium Sulphate
2.3g Calcium Chloride
2.3g Magnesium Sulphate
1. Mash with 21L water at 65º C for 90 mins. (Add Water Additions Here)
2. Mash out at 76ºC for 10 mins.
3. Sparge with 12L at 76ºC
4. Boil for 90 mins.
5. At 60 mins add 5g Southern Cross hops
6. At 10 mins add 1tsp Irish Moss
7. At 0 minutes turn off the heat
8. Chill wort below 90C and add 100g of Wai-iti hops, 50g Motueka hops and 45g of Southern Cross hops
9. Whirlpool for 20 mins.
(Whirlpool: turn the boil off and either stirring fast/recirculate so it "whirlpools" for the duration)
10. Cool down and add to your fermenter as usual
11. When the temperature is between 18-23ºC add Safale US-05 Yeast
12. Leave for 4-5 days and add the rest of the Hops for 5days
13. Remove Hops and Cold Crash 7days @1ºC
14. Keg or bottle as usual
(Aging beer 7days if no cold crash)