All Grain Recipe Kit Lager (European Light)
Lager (European Light) - All Grain Recipe Kit
The original inspiration for other light lager beer styles. Aroma is rich with a complex malt and spicy, floral, Saaz hop bouquet. Light gold to deep copper-gold. Flavour is complex; use of soft water allows greater intensity of malt and hop flavors without harshness, with malty sweetness giving way to a crisp, lingering hop bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied.
Expected Brew Figures: (Based on 75% Mash Efficiency):
3.0kg Premium Pilsner
100g Acidulated Malt
12g of Hallertau Mittelfruh hops
12g of Czech Saaz Hops
2x M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast (Cool Dried)
2x M54 Californian Lager Yeast (Warm Dried)
1x WLP800 Pilsner Yeast (Cool Liquid)
1. Mash @ 65 degrees C with 17L of water with a Grainfather
2. Rest 45 mins while recirculating, or until conversion is complete
3. Raise mash temp to mash out at 78 degrees C for 5mins.
4. Sparge for 90 mins with 12 of 78C water (In a Grainfather - continuous sparge)
5. Boil for 90 mins.
6. Add the 12g of Hallertau Mittelfruh hops @ 60 mins left to go.
7. At flame out add the 12g of Czech Saaz Hops and Whirlpool for 30 mins
(Whirlpooling; Turn the boil off and either stirring fast/recirculate so it "whirlpools" for the duration).
8. Cool and add to the fermenter quickly as possible.
9. Ferment between 12-15C for 7-10 days with 2x M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast or the 1x WLP800 Pilsner Liquid Yeast (Cool).
10.Ferment between 18-22C for 7-10 days with the 2x Californian Lager Yeast (Warm).
11. If possible, raise the temperature to 18-20C for 1 day after fermentation, to complete a diacytl rest before cold crashing.
12. Bottle or keg as usual.